Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Growing Up

I dropped off my kids at my in-laws this morning so that they could visit and I could have a little time by myself which is hard to come by these days.

As I was leaving I decided (more like needed) to stop at a coffee shop on the way home and have a latte (I left home without my usual 3 cups of joe). I also had a craving for a lemon poppy seed muffin. As I pulled up to the drive thru I asked the barista what kind of muffins they had. She proceeded to go through all the muffin flavors and then tell me about the scones. She described the scones as flat muffins in the shape of a triangle.

Um...no not quite right. Scones and I go way back. We became best buds in college. When she was in diapers. Okay, I am not that old but she was really young still ordering Happy Meals at McDonald's for sure. But who am I to correct her.

A scone is more of a muffin/biscuit hybrid.

A miscuit!

A buffin!

A muffcuit!

I will stop now.

So I pull away with my bliss...I mean latte.. and my orange cranberry buffin...er...scone.

I am reminded of my college years.



When this little baby was my only baby.

And she was small....really small.

I don't know where the picture is or I would show you but I could hold her entire body in my palm.






I used to go to coffee shops all the time and sip(drown in)coffee and nibble(seriously munch)scones as I trudged through my homework. What can I say but I needed the sugar and caffeine to keep me from falling asleep on my homework. The profs don't like it when you punctuate with drool.

Oh those days of footloose and fancy free. Jumping in the car anytime I felt like it to sit hours upon hours at a cramped uncomfortable table with a hard seat. But I loved it. Sometimes I miss it.



And then I remember what I traded that life in for.





This.....


















And this...





















Those.....














And lots of toes....


















































No comments:

Post a Comment